3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Ultramarathons/weightlifting

larvis
This post was updated on .
Dear all,

I was diagnosed with Asceding aorthic Aneurysm late September 2012. I will under the knife the 8th of Jan 2013 (David prodedure).

Three years ago I started training for marathons and doing weihglifting. Being overweight, I got myself into shape and finished my first marathon 4.12 in September 2011. This September I was supposed to take 30 min. off of my previous record but (luckily) I had an ultrasound 2 days prior the race and the doctor obviously gave me a no-go. I had started dreaming on running a 100 k race some day and actually started training for it in July-August. Obviously at first I was in great shock after finding out that I'm in danger of dying....Afterwards I have started to think that I'm one of the lucky ones...

I would be greatfull to get insights on training after the surgery. I know that I will first have to start walking, not able to carry my grocery etc. but the idea of maybe running an ultra someday gives me strenght to go on..or maybe it's easier to deal with the smaller (should I not be able to run long distances anymore) loss than think about possibility of dying....who knows.

I read Benjamin's book couple of days ago and it gave me comfort that a regular guy can run marathons after the surgery.

If possible, I would be gratefull for some detailed corrrespondance on training (after healing first) about what sort of limits they set on a patient; can I eg. bencpress 3x10 afterwords with 180 pound/70 kg as I used to prior to training, whether it is possible to do interval training runs, run with 100 % speed,  to run 100 k race.... Thanks in advance on any kind of tips on training (+survival) whether big or small! :)
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Ultramarathons/weightlifting

larvis

I just run 80 miles last week 7 months after surgery (AAA, 5.2 cm, david's procedure) and signed up for 50 mile race taking place in October. I feel great and 2 ultrasounds taken after surgery confirm it! Seems anything is possible. :)
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Ultramarathons/weightlifting

larvis
Did the 50 mile race without any problems! :) Life is great and the heart is ticking well!