Toperol XL

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Toperol XL

BenjaminJCarey
I'm finally coming off of Toperol.  I had valve sparing open heart surgery to repair an ascending aortic aneurysm in 2009. After a few ups and downs I healed up and recovered nicely. Ultimately they kept me on Toperol afterwards to rule out any issues with arrythmias (i had a bout of uncontrollable atrial flutter a couple weeks after my surgery - and even later on a holter monitor didn't give a clear readin). My blood pressure is and always has been fine, but my cardiologist decided to keep me on it to "keep pressure off my aorta" and eliminate any issues with irregular heartbeats.

My surgeon told me recently my heart was fixed and I didn't need to be on it anymore. I had an appointment with my Cardiologist yesterday, and fortunately he agreed and has decided to wean me off .25mg to .12mg and in a month i'll be off of it completely. I'm a little nervous, but I've never had high blood pressure and it seems pointless for me to be on anymore. It makes me tired, and I didn't realize this until the past few months. Anyone have an aortic repair and come off Toperol completely?
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Toperol XL

Megosaurusrex
I was on "atenolol" before surgery but for whatever reason they had me on "toperol" in the hospital. Upon discharge they switched me back to the atenolol without so much as batting an eye, so I assume you'll be fine ... I was actually wondering myself how long I would be on the beta blocker so its good to hear they are finally taking you off of it!
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Toperol XL

BenjaminJCarey
Hi Meg,

What's the difference between atenolol and toperol? Someone else in the forum made mention of their children being on atenolol because they were diagnosed with familial aortic root enlargement. I'm guessing maybe it's a little milder than toperol?

I'm sure you'll come off everything as well at some point as long as you don't have any other issues. I think they only keep people on it with a history of high blood pressure, etc.., but if you were healthy before surgery i'm sure they'll let you kick it sooner or later.

At one point during my recovery I was on a bunch of meds; pergocet, coumadin, colchizene, toperol, lasix. In a month I should be done with the Toperol and that will make me officially off all meds.