The greater of Maplestory you could like

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
1 message Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

The greater of Maplestory you could like

Mmoak2018
Nothing takes me back into my own childhood more than the soft guitar strumming that opens Maplestory's login screen audio. Ten years ago, that very song signalled into my brain that I could switch off my real world consciousness for at least an hour and immerse myself in this brightly lit, colourfully pixellated world of mages, thieves, archers and warriors. However, as I nostalgically reflect upon my newfound youth invested in this virtual idyll, I can't help but remember one particular element of this Maplestory Mesos game--the economy has been completely fucked. You believed the GFC was bad? Maplestory took it to a whole new level.

Like most of MMORPGS, Maplestory is premised around levelling up. As you progressed, you gained access to better items, which means that you could fight more powerful monsters and explore more harmful areas with much more rewarding item drops.

On paper, the higher level you were on, the greater of Maplestory you could like. Just one catch--only because you're on a specific level, did not mean you could manage everything that level gave you access to. In order to create any meaningful progression in the sport, you needed to have a considerable supply of this in-game currency, called Mesos.

As a beginner, your in-game earnings depends largely on creature drops and completing quests. Early game, this works perfectly fine, particularly since all the armour and weapons you need can be purchased from NPC shops with costs which never alter (a kind of government price control possibly?) But after you pass a specific point, the equips you need are no longer carried in NPC shops, and can only be accessed either by massacring swathes of a specific monster expecting one of them will fall what you want, or by going to the Free Market and trusting someone is selling everything you want at a price you can afford. However, the income that you generate from questing and monster drops is never enough for the ridiculous prices on the Free Market.  https://www.mmotank.com/Maplestory-2-Mesos.html