Children with dilated aortic roots

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Children with dilated aortic roots

Beth Carroll
Looking for others who may have children being treated with dilated aortic roots. I have four young sons diagnosed with familial aortic root dilation.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Children with dilated aortic roots

BenjaminJCarey
Hi Beth,
How did you find this out? I had an aortic aneurysm repair. I haven't had my children tested yet, but I'm anxious about it. How are they able to tell so young? Did they have echos? Do you have a family history?
Reply | Threaded
|

Beth Carroll
 I will submit my full story in the proper section but yes I do have a genetic link recently discovered in my family. My youngest was three when he had an echo. All four boys are currently taking atenolol and being monitored with yearly echos.  They are all under ten.

-----Original Message-----
From: BenjaminJCarey [via Heartosaurus.com Forum] <[hidden email]>
To: Beth Carroll <[hidden email]>
Sent: Mon, Jan 23, 2012 8:24 pm
Subject: Re: Children with dilated aortic roots

Hi Beth,
How did you find this out? I had an aortic aneurysm repair. I haven't had my children tested yet, but I'm anxious about it. How are they able to tell so young? Did they have echos? Do you have a family history?

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.heartosaurus.com/Children-with-dilated-aortic-roots-tp4333957p4334296.html
To unsubscribe from Children with dilated aortic roots, click here.
NAML
Reply | Threaded
|

BenjaminJCarey
That's scary Beth. Hope to see your story come in on the blog.
send to: stories@heartosaurus.com
I'm sure many would benefit from hearing about your experience.
Reply | Threaded
|

Erika
Benjamin, as you know my dad just had an AA repair and when I was 2 years old I had a PDA repair.  Sensitive to all things heart related because of my own murmur I had echos done on both of my girls (3 and 5 years old) already.  Despite the fact that I was told my murmur was not hereditary, I erred on the side of caution.  Once all of this happened with my dad I panicked and added my girls to my list of questions for the surgeon prior to my dad's surgery.  He said what I had was much different from my dad, that he didn't suspect a genetic link, but that there was a genetic component to AA's.  So to be safe, I should have both my girls echoed at around 20 years of age.  Hope that helps.
Reply | Threaded
|

BenjaminJCarey
Good info. thanks Erika!