classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
29 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

2012 NYC MARATHON SUNDAY, NOV 4, 2012

Heartosaurus
Administrator
The premier event of New York Road Runners, the ING New York City Marathon is one of the world's great road races, drawing more than 100,000 applicants annually.

2012 NYC MARATHON SUNDAY, NOV 4, 2012

The race attracts many world-class professional athletes, not only for the more than $600,000 in prize money, but also for the chance to excel in the media capital of the world before two million cheering spectators and 315 million worldwide television viewers. As any one of the more than 700,000 past participants will attest, crossing the finish line in Central Park is one of the great thrills of a lifetime.

Reply | Threaded
|

Team Members "Subscribe" to this group to stay in the loop

Heartosaurus
Administrator
Team Members:

At the very top of this page in the upper right hand corner, click on "Options" and "Subscribe". Clicking on Subscribe will sign you up to get an email whenever someone on our team posts an update, fundraising tip, training advice, a question, new information, etc.. Feel free to post questions or anything else you want to share with the team. Subscribing will keep you in the loop with the team and you won't miss anything.
Reply | Threaded
|

Planning your Training and Tracking your Progress

Heartosaurus
Administrator
In reply to this post by Heartosaurus
I've created a network for us on RunningAhead.com. Please create your personal profile on RunningAhead.com, and "join" here: http://www.runningahead.com/groups/teamheartosaurus. I encourage everyone to use this site to plan and track the progress of your workouts. The beauty of it is that everyone on the team will be able to view each other's workouts, and share training plans. For example, we have a couple elite athletes on the team (Kevin and Pauline) who would be more than glad to check out your training and offer some basic training advice. RunningAhead.com is a great tool which will allow you to map out courses around your neighborhood, save them for future reference, and if you're a real data junkie like myself you can upload every single workout from your GPS watch to the site and track your progress. If you have any questions on how to use the site, etc... shoot me an email. Here's my training summary http://www.runningahead.com/logs/461a14314c4048888b69434df6a36752 (Kevin don't laugh, there's plenty of time left to train!)

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Planning your Training and Tracking your Progress

FitOldDog
Hi Benjamin,
I signed in and then followed your link, but it just took me to the blank home page, with no sign of your training plans.
You certainly seem to be highly organized, which I suspect is critical for such a venture.
I'm really looking forward to meeting you and Pauline in November (but not barefoot - too cold).
-kevin aka FitOldDog
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Planning your Training and Tracking your Progress

BenjaminJCarey
Hi Kev,
On the home page of the RunningAhead.com group there isn't much except for a description of our team, however on the left side there is a list of options. If you click on "Reports" for example it shows every member of our group, and the default report is the distance done for the week. You can then click on the "Time Range" box and get reporting as far back as a year. Keep in mind the reporting is only as good as the people entering their workouts on Running Ahead. Since all of our discussions regarding the team and race are done on this forum in this thread the only real use for the RunningAhead usergroup is to share workouts. Once everyone make's their training logs public (i did this already) you can simply click on their name in the member list and see their calendar, workout reports, and much more in depth information. It's pretty cool stuff. If there are people reading this and getting overwhelmed, don't sweat it. You don't have to use any of this stuff if you don't want to. All you really need to do is keep smiling, get some running in, do some fundraising, and keep in touch with us for updates!
bjc
Reply | Threaded
|

RunningAhead.com Training Log

BenjaminJCarey
As mentioned previously, the RunningAhead.com training log is a cool tool you can use to plan your workouts, and enter stats from completed ones by either entering them manually or simply uploading them from your GPS watch. If you're not concerned with planning your workouts and tracking your stats in so much detail, don't sweat it. It's not necessary in order to complete your first marathon. People were doing it long before online trackers were available :)

For those of us who do want a place to plan, track, make adjustments, and get feedback; RunningAhead.com is the best place for it. It's much better than RunKeeper, Training Peaks, Sport Tracks, or any of the other trackers out there. That's not an opinion, it's fact. It just has so many more features than the others, it's free, and lastly the guy who built it is present on the site and continuously helping users and making updates.

Start by joining, creating a profile, and uploading a photo.

Next click on "Options" in the upper right hand corner.

Next click on "My Log Preferences" and set your log to "Allow anyone to see my running log". This is a very important step. If you don't set your log to "Allow anyone to see my running log", you will not be able to share it with anyone on your team.

Next go back to "Options" in the upper right corner.

This time click on "My Forum Preferences". Upload the same picture for your "Avatar" that you uploaded for your profile pic, and paste this in for your Team Heartosaurus signature where it says "Signature":

<p><strong>Heartosaurus: <em style="text-align: justify;">noun</em></strong><strong> [heart-o-sau-rus]</strong> 1. An inspiring online reference for open heart surgery patients. 2. A heart patient with an inextinguishable desire not merely to survive, but to live life to its fullest. 3. A doctor, caregiver, or anyone who makes a profound difference to the cause.</p>
<p> </p>

Where it says "Self Anointed Title" you can enter our Team Mantra: Are you a Heartosaurus?

Don't forget to join our Team Heartosaurus user group. RunningAhead can seem complicated and intimidating at first, but the best way to get familiar with everything is to do the above steps and then snoop around. You won't break anything and you'll quickly learn what to make use of :)

bjc
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: 2012 NYC MARATHON SUNDAY, NOV 4, 2012

BenjaminJCarey
August 2

Hi All,

I'm going to try and break 4 hours this year. In 2010 I ran 4:23.

I'm up to a 5 mile long run and only running 2/3 times a week. Time to get serious, 3 months left!

What time are you shooting for?

What is your long run currently?
Reply | Threaded
|

mar249
Oh, to be young so I could break 4 hours on such training!

I am running 5  times a week, and just moved my long run up from 2h30 to 2h 50, yet I'll be lucky to run 4:10-15; but the more training you can do ahead of time the easier the race is! 

good luck with your training
Pauline

On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 10:58 PM, BenjaminJCarey [via Heartosaurus.com Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:
August 2

Hi All,

I'm going to try and break 4 hours this year. In 2010 I ran 4:23.

I'm up to a 5 mile long run and only running 2/3 times a week. Time to get serious, 3 months left!

What time are you shooting for?

What is your long run currently?

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.heartosaurus.com/2012-NYC-MARATHON-SUNDAY-NOV-4-2012-tp4382346p5000759.html
To unsubscribe from 2012 NYC MARATHON SUNDAY, NOV 4, 2012, click here.
NAML

--
Pauline Watson
905-338-3032
Reply | Threaded
|

BenjaminJCarey
Wow Pauline 5 days a week? I tried that for the last Marathon and seemed like I couldn't recover quickly enough between workouts. Maybe you're doing some cross training? I tried running everyday because that's what I did in college, and I just got really sore and tight and felt like I was going to get injured. I suppose if I mixed in some bike or something else it wouldn't have been so bad. You're doing some serious training. What are you shooting for time? 4:10?

I ran 4:23 in 2009. I hope I'm not crazy to think I can make a stab at breaking 4:00 this time. 23 minutes is a pretty big difference right? Especially when my training isn't too much different. I'm in a little better shape this time, but not too much better.

Benjamin
Reply | Threaded
|

FitOldDog
Hi Benjamin, did you mean to send this message to Pauline? Remember, Pauline is a serious runner, so running 5x per week is fine for her. Me, I usually run 3x/ wk, but I cross-train on the bike and in the pool. However, when I trained for a Boston qualifier in 2008, the Charlotte marathon, I was running up to 11x/wk, but all the runs were short runs - it worked, and I did qualify with a 4:07:59. You only need to do a few really long runs (18+ miles) before he race. Interesting question. -k
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Aug 3, 2012 10:19 PM
To: FitOldDog
Subject: Re: 2012 NYC MARATHON SUNDAY, NOV 4, 2012

Wow Pauline 5 days a week? I tried that for the last Marathon and seemed like I couldn't recover quickly enough between workouts. Maybe you're doing some cross training? I tried running everyday because that's what I did in college, and I just got really sore and tight and felt like I was going to get injured. I suppose if I mixed in some bike or something else it wouldn't have been so bad. You're doing some serious training. What are you shooting for time? 4:10?

I ran 4:23 in 2009. I hope I'm not crazy to think I can make a stab at breaking 4:00 this time. 23 minutes is a pretty big difference right? Especially when my training isn't too much different. I'm in a little better shape this time, but not too much better.

Benjamin

http://forum.heartosaurus.com/2012-NYC-MARATHON-SUNDAY-NOV-4-2012-tp4382346p5000761.html
NAML
Reply | Threaded
|

BenjaminJCarey
Haha,
Kev, I bet you forgot you "subscribed" to this thread on the forum. I replied to a message from Pauline and since you "subscribed" in the past to the thread to keep abreast of our Team updates you were copied. Every time someone posts something on the 2012 NYC MARATHON SUNDAY, NOV 5, 2012 thread anyone who's subscribed (I am too, and hopefully the whole team will be soon) gets copied. I think you can even reply to the email and not even visit the forum to respond and your reply gets posted on the forum.

Anyway, you guys are animals...so much training.....really amazing, and inspiring. How much sleep do you guys average? What pace and time are you guys looking to hit in NYC?

bjc
Reply | Threaded
|

FitOldDog
Yep! I forgot that I subscribed! HaHa to you too!

Sleep - as much as possible, preferably >8hrs/night.
Pace - who knows, hopefully sub-4:15, but we'll see how these bones hold together during training.
Look forward to meeting you, very much. Time to look for a hotel!!!!!
-k

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Aug 4, 2012 12:03 AM
To: FitOldDog
Subject: Re: 2012 NYC MARATHON SUNDAY, NOV 4, 2012

Haha,
Kev, I bet you forgot you "subscribed" to this thread on the forum. I replied to a message from Pauline and since you "subscribed" in the past to the thread to keep abreast of our Team updates you were copied. Every time someone posts something on the 2012 NYC MARATHON SUNDAY, NOV 5, 2012 thread anyone who's subscribed (I am too, and hopefully the whole team will be soon) gets copied. I think you can even reply to the email and not even visit the forum to respond and your reply gets posted on the forum.

Anyway, you guys are animals...so much training.....really amazing, and inspiring. How much sleep do you guys average? What pace and time are you guys looking to hit in NYC?

bjc

http://forum.heartosaurus.com/2012-NYC-MARATHON-SUNDAY-NOV-4-2012-tp4382346p5000763.html
NAML
Reply | Threaded
|

HOTELS FOR MARATHON WEEKEND

Heartosaurus
Administrator
Team,

After finishing the marathon we'll be meeting up at D. Bar in Chelsea for drinks. If you're coming in from out of town, chances are that you'll probably want to stay nearby and won't want to travel too far after running 26.2 miles. You can check out some of these hotels in the Chelsea area:

http://www.tvtrip.com/pnhqnSj-hotels-near-chelsea-village-nyc-new-york

Another great choice is Hotel Gansevoort in Tribeca.

If you'd rather stay nearby the finish line and take a taxi to D. Bar, here are some hotels nearby the finish:

http://www.tvtrip.com/pnhz4h7-hotels-near-tavern-on-the-green
Reply | Threaded
|

mar249
In reply to this post by FitOldDog
Hi,
I'm a month late in replying, guess I have been busy :-)

Benjamin, I am doing a lot for a 58 yr old with a AAA - Kevin motivated me to do a half-ironman (would that be an iron-woman, ha, ha) so I was swimming twice a week (2 km straight, or 1.2 miles for the Americans), cycling twice a week (up to 86 km training), and running 5 times. On my birthday in August I ran 15 miles on the track (about 2 1/2 h) - a long standing tradition to run a lap for every year. The 70.3 IM was on Sunday, so now I recover for a week and get back to marathon training.

But as Kevin said, I am/was serious. I've been running for 34 years, once did 70 days straight of running and topped out at 80 miles a week before a 2 h 49 min marathon. It's a lot easier to train to run 2:49 than 4:30, let me tell you! I used to do 2 1/2 hour long runs now I dread trying to go 3h or more. The more long runs you can do ahead of time (2h 30+) the easier it will be. That's the most important training element.

I think that given the state of my arthritic toe, which has destroyed my running efficiency, I'll be lucky to do 4:30, so you two will be on your second beer before I'm done :-)

Pauline

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: HOTELS FOR MARATHON WEEKEND

mar249
Hi, me again on the subject of hotels.
I am booked through Dream Travel, at the Paramount I think. Very expensive, but it comes with an entry to the marathon.

I am still trying to fund raise for team Heartosaurus, but will donate what I raise to the team, say to Kevin.

I'll have to check a map to see where Chelsea is, for the bar - we will try a taxi I think. My husband Bob will be there as well, and I am also looking forward to meeting the two of you.
Reply | Threaded
|

mar249
I missed a point. The last few times I was in NYC I stayed at Radio City apartments, and tentatively booked a suite there before confirming with Dream Travel. This is a reasonable priced place, very near to Times Square. I plan to cancel it, but could pass it on to someone else if they cant find anything comparable.
Reply | Threaded
|

ACEvans
I'm really excited Nov 4th is coming up so quickly.  I've been training as much as possible.

I was running 6 times a week until classes started, but carrying 19 hour load this semester so I'm running 4-5 days a week, making sure I get in some races and always my distance runs.   Four weeks ago, I finished a 20 mile in just under 3 hours, 2 weeks later I opted for the 15 mile race, and this past Sunday, I did a 22 mile run.  Per my training schedule, I will be running two more distance runs before the race, 24 miles in a week & half & 26.2, two weeks later.  This being my first marathon, I thought I would feel more comfortable with at least one 26.2 run under my belt prior to race day.  

My sister and her husband are flying in from LA to be there with me and we are staying on W 65th and I also have a friend who lives very close to CPW on W 82nd.  Depending on where I stumble out of Central Park, I have a place to go.. and any of you are welcome to head that way with for a towel off and quick refreshment before finding your way back to wherever you are staying!

I look forward to meeting you all!  Would love to hear how everyone else is training.  I was quite impressed with Pauline's recent half-Ironman with only a week's recovery before getting back to marathon training - whew, girl!!! that's awesome!

Chat soon, all!

~Amy
@misstwist27
Reply | Threaded
|

Training for NYC

FitOldDog
Hi Amy, took me forever to find your message - I was looking on the Fundraiser site. Sounds to me like you are in danger of overtraining. I never exceed 20 miles whilst training for a marathon. Your goal should be, in my old guy opinion, to reach the start line uninjured. At this stage of the game, with very long runs, you risk injuring yourself because of endorphin illusions. You do sound ready, but the trick is to stay ready. I wouldn't do that 26 miler, personally, I would save it for the day. If you can do 20+ the energy of the race will carry you to a great finish. Lots of short runs, with some long runs, up to 18 miles, and head for your taper. Only about 6 wks to go. For me this is the time to do a little careful speed work. I'm no expert though. See what other people say. -kevin
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Training for NYC

BenjaminJCarey
Kev,

I ran a 10k last Sunday in 44 minutes. I was a little sore, and got lazy and haven't ran since!! I'm going to run again Saturday. How bad is this? My longest run was 18 miles up to the 10k, I've been doing hill workouts, intervals, etc... and i'm going to do at least one 22 miler before the race November 4. Will this past week off be much of a setback? I was training real hard, maybe it will do me some good no?

Benjamin
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: POST RACE MEETUP

BenjaminJCarey
I sent an email out previously but just wanted to remind everyone that we're meeting up at "D Bar" in Chelsea after the race for drinks and camaraderie! I hope everyone will be there. Also in the coming weeks we'll designate a place to meet on the morning of the race in the staging area at the starting line.

Lastly, if anyone is interested; we are meeting at the marathon expo at 6pm on Friday Nov. 2 to pick up our bibs and grab a bite to eat afterwards.